Do you find yourself in a whirlwind – so many things to do and it doesn’t seem as though you are getting anything done? That’s when I can get cranky, irritable, and out of sorts. And that mood burns up any creative, productive energy that I really need to get things done!
What helps to refresh and reset? Here’s a few tried and true tips to consider:
- Chunk it down.
- MAKE A LIST: Instead of a project list, make a list of tasks. Then break that TO-DO list down even more into SIMPLE, BASIC, EASY action items! Some people start with the easiest items to build momentum. Others choose the hardest items to get them out of the way and free up the day!
- SET A TIME FOCUS: What do I need to do this week? Or this day? Hour? In the next 5 minutes? Choose an action step that can be completed in that time frame.
- DAILY 3 COMMITMENT LIST: Each day choose 3 items from your “TO DO” list that you are 100% certain you will complete today. Don’t add anything to your list until all 3 items are complete.
- Saying YES means that you are saying NO.
- As you say YES, consider the ripple effects. What will choose to say NO to when you say YES?
- CREATE a Not-Doing-Now List as a parking lot for the NO, NOT YET items.
- Do only one thing at a time. STOP MULTITASKING!
- When your mind strays or another task tempts you: ask “is this intrusion helping with my current task or not?”
- If the answer is “no,” park it on your NOT DOING NOW list (see above.)
- CELEBRATE every single action step you complete – when you complete it! Do a happy dance, give yourself a high 5 or simply smile. Whatever celebration you chose — Take time to pause and acknowledge YOU DID IT! So often we move from task to task and completely forget what we’ve accomplished. Give your brain this 30 second dopamine bath and you’ll be surprised how much more productive you feel!
- Buddy up. Partner with a compassionate, non-judgmental friend/co-worker who wants you to succeed but isn’t attached to any outcome. When the stakes are high and effective, meaningful action is imperative – hire a coach. Compassionate Accountability is remarkably transformative!
What will you experiment with this month? Let me know your results!